Call for Applications: EHRI Seminar on Reference Services, at Yad Vashem THIS CALL HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FALL 2016
Reference Services: New Methods of Utilizing Holocaust Documentation and Resources
27-31 March 2016 l Location: Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, Israel
This seminar is organized in the framework of EHRI (European Holocaust Research Infrastructure)
We would like to invite those working in Reference Services with Holocaust Documentation to submit their application for the international EHRI seminar on Reference Services: New Methods of Utilizing Holocaust Documentation and Resources to be held at Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, March 27-31, 2016.
The seminar is organized within the framework of the European Holocaust Research Infrastructure (EHRI) project, supported by the European Commission.
In the current age, reference service personnel are facing new and varied challenges due to numerous factors involved regarding Holocaust documentation and sources. Among these is the fact that many more people, from different backgrounds and for various reasons, are seeking to use archival documents and library resources. This multiplicity creates demands on staff members and their institutions. In addition, the enormous expectations placed on archives for the accessibility of all materials, give rise to many questions regarding the preservation of the actual document, digitalization, issues of publication rights, new methods in cataloging of material, and more.
This seminar offers the unique opportunity for those working in reference services to come together and share their experience with others, to talk about how different institutions are dealing with the current challenges and to learn from each other.
Topics that will be presented and discussed at the seminar will include:
- The effect of global digitization of archival materials on reference services
- Electronic resources vis-à-vis physical preservation
- Confronting new and expanding forms of categorization
- The issue of copy rights
- Dealing with sources from around the world and multi-lingualization
- The ideal reference professional
- Resource material and the Internet
- Knowledge of the Holocaust and the reference desk
- Geographical diversity
- Meeting the expectations of individuals seeking information
The seminar proceedings and discussions will be conducted in English. All participants must be proficient in reading, listening, and conversing in English. We would like to invite candidates interested in the international seminar: Reference Services: New Methods of Utilizing Holocaust Documentation and Resources to be held at Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, from 27 to 31 March 2016 to submit their applications.
THIS IS CALL IS CLOSED. THIS SEMINAR HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FALL 2016.
An application packet consists of:
- A completed application form
- A curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages)
- A description explaining your reasons for attending this seminar and how it will assist your position and your institution (maximum 2 pages)
- A letter of recommendation
Please submit the application packet to: Eliot Nidam Orvieto at email@example.com.