Job Announcement | Researcher EHRI-PP | Belgian State Archives
The Belgian State Archives/CegeSoma is recruiting a researcher (m/f/x) for the project European Holocaust Research Infrastructure Preparatory Phase (EHRI-PP).
The Belgian State Archives is a federal scientific institution that is part of the Federal Science Policy (BELSPO). The institution consists of the General State Archives in Brussels, 18 branches of the State Archives spread throughout the country and the Study and Documentation Centre on War and Contemporary Society (CegeSoma) in Brussels.
The State Archives acquires and preserves (after selection) archives at least 30 years old of courts and tribunals, public administrations and notaries, as well as of the private sector and individuals (companies, politicians, associations and societies, notaries, influential families, etc. who have played an important role in social life). The State Archives ensure that government archives are transferred according to archival standards.
Making these archive documents available to the public, while protecting the privacy of certain data, is one of the main tasks of the institution. In its 19 study rooms, the State Archives makes infrastructure available to a wide and varied public. The direct service via the Internet (the digital reading room) is one of the priorities of the institution (www.arch.be).
One of the main tasks of the scientific staff is to make the immense quantity of barely accessible archives in the institution accessible by providing scientific tools (search guides, archive overviews and guides, inventories, institutional studies), which should enable the researcher to find the desired information fairly accurately and within a reasonable time.
The CegeSoma (www.cegesoma.be) is the fourth operational directorate of the State Archives and it is responsible for scientific research, public history, digitisation and the opening up of collections, mainly concerning the history of the two World Wars in Belgium.
DESCRIPTION OF THE FUNCTION
The researcher will work for the EHRI-PP project. EHRI is an international digital research infrastructure that ensures Holocaust research, remembrance and education on a transnational level. One of the main challenges for Holocaust research is the high fragmentation of sources and expertise across many institutions. EHRI overcomes this fragmentation by connecting sources, institutions and people. The EHRI portal enables online access to information on Holocaust sources wherever they are located. The EHRI Conny Kristel fellowship programme gives researchers access to the resources of the world's 20 most prominent Holocaust archives. EHRI's extensive networking and training programme brings people together. Finally, EHRI promotes innovative tools for the digital transformation of Holocaust research (www.ehri-project.eu).
EHRI is currently funded on a project basis, the goal of EHRI-PP is to develop EHRI into a permanent European research infrastructure. EHRI-PP is preparing this process, which includes: elaborating a governance structure, developing a human resources policy and drafting the necessary legal documents (e.g. statutes). The position entails amongst others: tracing, listing and analysing relevant legal and policy documents and assisting in the drafting of different types of texts (deliverables, policy documents, legal texts).
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT
You will be working at CegeSoma, Square de l’Aviation, 29 1070 Brussels.
- You have a degree (master/doctorate) in European Studies, Public Administration, Management, Political Science, History or Law.
- You have knowledge of/experience with European research projects, European research infrastructures, principles of governance and (project) management
- Experience in drafting legal texts and in policy preparation is considered as an advantage
- Passive and active knowledge of French or Dutch, with a very good proficiency in English (the working language of EHRI)
- You have a good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- You can work independently and in an organised way
- You can work well in an international team and environment
- You are communicative
- You have good editorial skills
- You are flexible and willing to travel abroad
- You are result-oriented and adhere to the objectives and deadlines defined in the context of the project
- A full-time contract for 12 months at 80% (30.4 hours/week)
- Desired date of entry into service: 1 November 2021.
- Flexible working hours
- Salary scale SW10 (for full-time employment) (21.880,00 EUR - 33.895,00 EUR non-indexed gross salary, a net salary starting at ca. 2000 EUR, with 0 years of seniority and 100% employment) or SW11 (for full-time employment) (25.880,00 EUR - 41.351,00 EUR non-indexed gross salary, a net salary starting at ca. 2400 EUR, with 2 years of seniority and 100% employment). To be admitted to scale SW11, you must have at least 2 years of scientific experience or another professional activity considered relevant for this position.
- Opportunity for teleworking
- Free public transport for commuting and/or bicycle allowance
- Advantageous hospitalisation insurance
- Possibility to recuperate overtime
- At least 26 days of holiday per year in the event of full-time employment
- Advantages and interesting offers via the Belspo and Fedplus cards
This position is open to candidates who can be classified as Dutch or French-speaking, in accordance with the rules set out in the laws on the use of languages in administrative matters.
Candidates should send their motivation letter and detailed CV (in pdf), as well as a copy of their master or doctoral degree and an excerpt from the criminal registry, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (reference: candidacy EHRI-PP) at the latest on 14 September 2021.
The candidates who are selected on the basis of their CV will be invited for an interview. This interview, scheduled for 23 September) will include the content of the CV and various aspects of the project.
Information: Prof. Sébastien Dubois (email@example.com) / Dr. Dirk Luyten (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Adina Babesh (email@example.com)